27 March 2009

Learning French


I have been trying to learn to speak French, but so far I can't say it's been going well. It would have been nice to have the change to live there for a year or so, but I suspect with the current economic outlook, it's not very likely.

I have a few books on the country and some teaching aids, so to get a deeper understanding of the country, I have read or am reading:-

Sixty million Frenchmen can't be wrong


50 things to hate about the French


The discovery of France

The complete Merde


Unleash your inner Gaul

Two lipsticks and a lover


For the language itself:-


Teach yourself French in 3 months


BBC the French experience


Michael Thomas


Accelerated learning French


I'm still working my way though them, Michael Thomas has a good reputation for his European languages, but I have yet to see how the Chinese course works.



Can't say I found French For Dummies very helpful, it was very dry, and not very interesting.


There is also Rosetta Stone software, I hear it's very good. But these days I use Linux at home, and it's Windows only

I would love to spend some time in France hopefully in July, but that is when the French all take holidays.

It's also a case to decide what part of France to visit.

The history of the country is surprisingly diverse, at least as written by Graham Robb. Much more than the simplistic ideas than the Anglo Saxons moved in after the Romans left.

I've been to Paris once before, and Calais twice, and living in the UK for so many years I really would like to see more of Europe.



We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be, detested in France.
The Duke of Wellington

No comments: