17 January 2007

Third Life

A very long time ago, I read a book called Lucid Dreams by Celia Green , at the time I thought what and amazing concept. Your body is asleep, your mind is awake but still in a dream. At that time was was really interested in the workings of the mind, and I was also a bit of a New Age nut.

( I know someone who is going to say " Not another Hippy" )

But like the contents of many books, it rattled around inside my head for a while, and didn't really leave.

In about 1988 I bought Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge

Later I bought Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen Laberge and Howard Reingold, and it still sits on my bedside table. Finally a tape with hypnotic suggestions, and they are on my MP3 Player.

Synchronicity is back, as I write iTunes has found a MP3 of an hour long interview Stephen did on a radio program.

So what is it all about?

So imagine you are in a dream, and something really odd happens like the purple 6 legged giraffe that is driving the flying bus runs a blue light, then you realize traffic lights are not blue! Then the train of thought says you would only see that if you were dreaming.

BANG! realization happens that you are dreaming. Usually the dream starts to become more colourful and dynamic. In all these years I've had one LD, and it's really annoying, as I have spoken to friends who have never heard about it, and then they have one that night. ( I hate my subconscious )

So what is it good for I hear you say!

In the books SlB gives examples of people who were learning Ice Skating, Judo and skiing and where able to use LD to rapidly improve their skills.
One lady recounts she was able to debug her programs much faster.

Not forgetting you really can have sex with whoever you dream of.

Ok so now you want to learn how to improve your Judo.

A simple collection of the main methods are at Wikipedia

But a few extra things that will help is to actually remember your dreams in the first place.
A book and a pen beside the bed to write them down is very helpful. I just bought a pen with an led in it, so I can write with out turning on the lights. That has helped a lot.

Vitamin B12, also helps dream recall, and often makes them more vivid. If your an Australian who likes Vegemite, double your dose, it's full of B12. Everyone else, you will have to use Marmite. If you don't like the taste, it doubles as a 100PF sunscreen.

The Lucidity Institute sell the NovaDreamer a device that blinks light in your eyes, when you are dreaming, it's very expensive

I just found this DIY Facemark

and this one as well.

Do not lose hold of your dreams or asprirations. For if you do, you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and what a waste of money